The IAAH is a multidisciplinary, non-government organization with a broad focus on youth health. IAAH was established in 1987 and is committed to the principles of youth empowerment in all aspects of its affairs and supports the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (1989). Our goal at present is to become an organization which encourages and fosters National Youth Health organizations.
IAAH offers a range of services and activities to its members and to youth-serving organisations:
- A quadrennial international scientific congress
- Co-sponsorship of meetings and projects
- A registry of member interests and expertise
- An international mailing list
- Regional professional education events
- Guidance and support for the development of national associations for adolescent/youth health
Our mission is to:
- Foster deeper understanding of the importance of youth health across sectors and within every region of the world
- Encourage cooperation and collaboration between youth and adults and between professionals and organisations focused on youth health issues
- Promote and support the development of national associations dedicated to youth health
- Advocate for improved youth health services, training, research, and policy development worldwide and within communities, countries, and regions
Structure of IAAH:
IAAH has an executive committee made up of the President, Immediate Past President, Treasurer, and Secretary. The full Council is made up of Vice Presidents who represent eight regions of the world and members at large who help to increase the skill base of the Council. A nominations committee brought together by the Immediate Past President nominates people, who must be members of IAAH, for the executive committee and the Council. The term of each member is for four years, which can be renewed.
Most of the business of IAAH is done electronically. An AGM of members is held at the World Congress every four years and a meeting of the Council is usually convened at the Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine (SAHM) meeting in North America each year.